Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Beloved Steadfast Max is Gone



In His Sweet Memory 1999 - December 28 2008

JUST MY DOG

He is my other eyes that can see above
the clouds; my other ears that hear above
the winds. He is the part of me that can
reach out into the sea.

He has told me a thousand times over that
I am his reason for being: by the way he
rests against my leg; by the way he thumps
his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he
shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he
is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another woman. With him,
I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a
private peace. He has brought me understanding
where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against
my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me...
...wherever--in case I need him.
And I expect I will--as I always have.

He is just my dog.
--- Gene Hill ---

7 comments:

Susan G. said...

Cherie, I am so sorry to read about Max. Outside my study the sky is crying. I used to love winter. Now that I and my animals are growing old--and the mud sucks my horses hooves--I struggle to remember spring.

Celeste said...

What a wise, wonderful, loving face. I am so sorry for your loss, there is nothing sadder. My thoughts are with you.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

So very sorry.
What a lovely face he had, one that will stay in your memory forever.

Donna said...

What a gentleman. You must miss him terribly. Warm wishes for happy memories to carry you through this time.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

What a lovely poem you added, sums up our dogs nicely

restoration42 said...

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts, they really do help. Dogs are such, such blessings and the pain when they pass on is a measure of the devotion and love they gave. I miss him so, so much. I'm so grateful he was my dog.

soulbrush said...

oh dear boy, what a wiseand wistful face he had. may his dear doggie sould rest in peace.xx